Please note that there are no toilet facilities in any of our church buildings
St John the Baptist, Coln St Aldwyns
The church's dedication is unusual in that is one of only two in England dedicated to the beheading of John the Baptist. There is a plaque in the church commemorating the endowment in perpetuity for the poor of the parish by Catherine Ireton (nee Powle). The Powle family had purchased Williamstrip Manor at sometime between 1610 and 1618. When Catherine married Henry Ireton in 1692 he moved to Williamstrip. They had no children so Catherine inherited the estate in total on Henry's death in 1711. Henry Ireton was Oliver Cromwell's grandson.
St Nicholas, Hatherop
The church was entirely rebuilt between 1854 and 1855 by Lord de Mauley from designs by Henry Clutton and William Burges. Its predecessor was a smaller building with chancel with north vestry, central tower, and nave with north porch. A gallery had been erected by 1825. The main body of the present church is in a mixture of English medieval styles with many of the features carefully observed. The east end is by contrast in a French gothic style and the south chapel, which is a mortuary chapel to Lady de Mauley (d. 1844), is particularly striking.
St Swithin, Quenington
The church dates from 1100AD with the establishment of the Knights Hospitaller in Quenington. Its North and South Doors are some of the finest examples of Norman doors in England. By the mid 19th century the church was in such a poor state of repair that it was scheduled for demolition. However, because of the historical importance of the entrances it was rebuilt in 1882 to a design by the Diocesan Architect to incorporate the original doors. The cost was largely born by the then Sir Michael Hicks Beach of Coln St Aldwyns and Sir T.S. Bazley of Hatherop Castle. Some of the original architectural features are now incorporated into the interior west walls. Henry Ireton, grandson of Oliver Cromwell and Whig MP, and his wife Catherine are buried in the churchyard. A plaque in the church commemorates them.